Breastfeeding Tips

As a breastfeeding advocate, I would like to share to first-time moms the proper way on how to have a good latch and make breastfeeding easier and a comfortable experience for both the moms and the babies. This was what I followed in the 2 1/2 years that I breastfed my daughter.

BREASTFEEDING TIPS:

1.  With a clean washcloth or cotton swabs, wipe your breasts clean before  your  baby feeds.
  2. Sit comfortably in an upright position.  A pillow can help bring your baby to the proper level.  Raise one knee to help support his body.
  3. Support your baby’s head and bring him close to your breast.
  4. Stroke the baby’s cheek nearest you;  your baby will turn to you and search for your  nipple to find food.  This is called the “rooting reflex”.
  5. Guide your nipple toward his mouth.  Baby’s chin should be against the breast and his tongue underneath your nipple.  As he sucks, let your baby touch and stroke your breast.  Make sure that he’s sucking on the whole areola (darkened area of the breast), not just the nipple.  If he sucks on the nipple, you’ll get sore and he won’t get any milk.  Your baby will begin sucking vigorously and find his own pace.
  6. When his sucking subsides, switch him to other breast until he stops feeding.
  7. Next time he feeds, start from the breast he nursed from last and repeat the same procedure.  This way, he’ll receive equal amounts of milk from each breast and you’ll avoid the sensation of overfullness in either of your breasts.

[Source: My Baby Book (GlaxoSmithKline)]

To my fellow mommies, let’s make breastfeeding our advocacy. Let’s encourage and educate soon-to-be-moms regarding the advantages of breastfeeding and also the lactating mothers to continuously breastfeed their babies beyond 6 months of age. Let’s all put in mind that there’s no substitute for breastmilk so let’s maximize our capacity to produce milk for the benefit of our babies.

Related posts:

1. Breastfeeding

2. Breastfeeding Advantages to Mothers

3. Milk for Breastfeeding Mothers

28 Comments

1. September 13, 2012 / 5:31 am

Wonderful post. I am currently breastfeeding my 5 months old daughter will make a post about this advocacy too

• Maica Ocfemia-Figuracion
      September 13, 2012 / 11:56 am

Thank you Mommy Zoan!

2. September 13, 2012 / 5:39 am

helpful tips indeed for mothers like me…

3. September 13, 2012 / 6:55 am

I’m all for breastfeeding. It’s the best form of nourishment any mother can possibly give her baby. I breastfed for 1.5 years, and don’t regret it a single bit.

• Maica Ocfemia-Figuracion
      September 13, 2012 / 11:53 am

I totally agree. Babies who are breastfed are have stronger immune system compared to others.

4. September 13, 2012 / 1:22 pm

I am for breast feeding ,baby needs nutrients that only breast milk can give. Sadly ,not all mom can breast feed the baby’s for a long time due to lack of mil and i am one of them.

5. September 13, 2012 / 3:51 pm

Thanks for these helpful tips. I can surely use these tips in the future when God will give me a little angel na. I’ve been hoping to experience breastfeeding to my little one.

6. September 13, 2012 / 5:39 pm

Both my kids are breast-feds babies 🙂 they are now 9 and 6 🙂 I am happy that I do not need to buy formula. Nursing your baby is a great bond too plus the nutrient they got from your breast.

7. September 13, 2012 / 7:23 pm

I wanted to breastfed with my two kids and been reading alot of tips, however, it always depend on the situation where you already there is. It never worked out for me. But, to those who wanted to breastfed, it might work out for you, so these are good tips to keep in mind.

8. September 14, 2012 / 12:12 am

I am all for breastfeeding. Both my girls are breasfed babies. Our DD1 was bf’d until 22 months, and DD2 is not yet totally weaned at 29 months.

9. September 14, 2012 / 1:23 am

great tips for new moms out there. I breastfed my first born for only a month, for some reason he could not latch on my nipple and he gave up. For my second child, she’s breastfed for 6 months, she don’t want to let go of it but i had to because she kept on bitting my nipple. Yikes! hurts!

10. September 14, 2012 / 2:55 am

Been that and it hurts for the first 3 days! 🙂

11. September 14, 2012 / 4:07 am

Good job on promoting breastfeeding. I always love to hear tips that has mother and child bonding with it and not just for a sexy body crap.

12. September 14, 2012 / 4:58 am

Awts! I was not able to breastfed my babies because I have a maintenance meds. Sayang nga ang dami ko pa naman milk 🙁

13. September 14, 2012 / 5:54 am

I breastfed my son for 2 years and 5 months 🙂 He was really a very healthy baby and I’m sure breast feeding him that long helped made him healthy

14. September 14, 2012 / 6:44 am

such a nice tips, how i wish i also have the joy of breastfeeding but there’s no milk coming out from me,

15. September 14, 2012 / 4:53 pm

very helpful tips….I tried to breastfeed my daughter when she was born, but I guess it was a failure because she’s allergic to my milk…well, that’s what do doctor was saying.

16. September 16, 2012 / 2:15 pm

may I just add that drinking lots of fluid can also help 🙂

17. September 17, 2012 / 8:22 am

I’m not a mom yet, but thanks for sharing such helpful tips with us 🙂 This’ll somehow help me prepare for motherhood in the future.

18. September 20, 2012 / 3:03 am

I am bookmarking this for reference. Preggy now and researching for some breastfeeding tips!

19. September 20, 2012 / 5:16 am

Too bad I was not able to breastfeed my kids, bawal kasi for the kids I’m under medication. These are great tips 🙂

20. September 21, 2012 / 3:31 am

The benefits of breastfeeding a child extends way beyond their actual breastfeeding years.

21. September 21, 2012 / 3:48 am

It has been years since I last breastfed Dindin. Too bad it was short-lived 🙁 I would have wanted to breastfeed her till she was over 1 year old.

22. September 21, 2012 / 4:17 am

This is really such a good help to those parents especially newly moms out there who are planning to breastfeed their babies soon. 🙂

23. September 21, 2012 / 10:37 am

My daughter still nurses from me every night. It’s a great feeling and I hope more and more moms will breastfeed their babies.

24. September 22, 2012 / 5:11 am

Although I wanted to nourish my daughter with my breast milk, it’s sad that my lactation only lasted for 3 months. The same also happened to me with my eldest.

25. September 22, 2012 / 9:45 am

I’m excited to breastfeed my baby in the coming months.. This tips will help.. Thanks!