Collectible Toys For Girls

Toy collection had been a huge part of my childhood and I’m quite sure, most of my readers also collected toys while they were young. I assume parents raising little girls and boys are also in their second phase of building their toy collection now.

There’s no denying the popularity of collectible toys; top-ten lists for Christmas toys have been filled with Squinkies or Lego Ninjago sets for the past few years, and baseball cards and Beanie Babies before that. Collectibles aren’t just for fun, however – studies have shown that collections can actually play a part in the brain development of young children, as kids start to name and categorize their possessions from around the age of 6. And, I’m quite surprised that my daughter, Keisha, at age of 2 can categorically identify her own things apart from a bunch of others’ possessions. I strongly believe that her toy collection is a major part of her mental development.

Sylvanian Family(photo from web)

Sylvanian (Labrador)  Family
(photo from web)

Though I’ve got a way to go before Keisha’s old enough to play with smaller toys, we recently bought some figures from Sylvanian Families for her cousin and she’s hardly put them down since. Having been more of a Beanie Babies girl when I was younger, I was amazed at well-made the Sylvanian figurines are in comparison.

We picked the Labrador Family as the little girl’s a big fan of dogs, and the characters all have their quirks, which I loved. There’s super attention to detail in their expressions, and that’s not even mentioning all the themed sets you can get, from a farmyard to a hospital, caravan, and even a grand Regency Hotel which looks as good as any dollhouse.

Boy’s collectibles tend to hog the limelight, what with movie merchandise like Star Wars and Batman figures, but Sylvanians have had an impressive run – they’ve been going strong since the mid-1980s, almost as long as I’ve been around. I’m definitely looking forward to buying Keisha her first set. And, for sure, she will instantly fell in love with the Sylvanians Family.

12 Comments

1. January 29, 2013 / 2:22 pm

Collecting toys or stuffed toys is pretty much common for kids. My son has piles of toy cars here but daughter is more of an art stuff… Those sylvannian’s are pretty cute.

2. January 29, 2013 / 4:46 pm

I never had a collection when I was a kid nor even today. I had only a few toys back then and I remember sharing them with my playmates. I also seldom use them because I like running more than just sitting and playing dolls, whatsoever. Haha. I miss those days when I was a kid.

3. January 29, 2013 / 7:33 pm

I believe that at age at a young age, they know what belongs to them and not. I have 2 younger kids and they are 17 months apart, both girls and by the time they turned 2 and 3, they know what belongs to who and my youngest would line up her toys according to color. kids are smart and with all these colorful and educational toys that they have, their bran develops faster.

4. January 30, 2013 / 1:29 am

those are cute figures and i think a perfect collection for a little girl who loves dogs 😀

5. January 30, 2013 / 2:25 am

I have a girl but I think she’s the only girl or one of the few that doesn’t have toy collections at all. She loves books so pretty much, books are what she collects. 😀

6. January 30, 2013 / 3:54 am

Aw so cute, I bet little girls would love to cuddle these toys.

7. January 30, 2013 / 6:02 am

I never have even single doll or toy when I was little :(. Those collectibles are just pretty…

8. January 30, 2013 / 1:45 pm

my daughter loves just anything, but she totally love barnie, she wanted stuff toy and her clothes even her slippers. ooh those were the days.

9. January 30, 2013 / 11:31 pm

I used to collect a lot of things and I still do to date. The labrador family sounds like a great idea. 🙂

10. January 31, 2013 / 11:59 am

That’s really cool toys for a collection. My girls are rather very typical – they only do collect dolls especially the princesses ones.

11. April 18, 2013 / 9:53 am

I love Sylvanian Family! I wanted to collect these for so long but I have no place to put them here in our room. I remember playing with some of it when I was younger. Now that I’m older, I still want to play with them, or even just look at it. Whenever daughter and I were in a toy store, she would look at barbie houses and I would look at Sylvanian displays. She knows that it’s my favorite thing to look at and she’s only 4!