Good dental hygiene is a must for everyone. Whether you are young or old, you are expected to take good care of your teeth. But how can we make kids love brushing their teeth? Some kids find it too tiring, some are bored, some just don’t like to brush their teeth at all.
As a mom of a 5-year old pre-schooler, I make sure that my daughter embraces the concept and importance of brushing her teeth. Imparting good oral hygiene at the onset was a challenge since she got scared of the pediatric dentist we visited when she was a year old. Luckily, she overcame that feeling and learned to love brushing. I will be sharing tips on how I made her love brushing her teeth and I hope this will help other moms make brushing time fun time for their kids.
Here are the tips on how to make toothbrushing “Hapee” time for kids:
- Set a good example. As we know, children imitate what we do. Show them that brushing our teeth after meals is part of our everyday routine.
- Visit a friendly pediatric dentist every 6 months. A pediatric dentist will be of great help in instilling the importance of oral hygiene to your kids. It’s a must that you choose the dentist who’s friendly enough to deal with your child.
Note: While in the dental clinic, it helps that your child feel your presence and support.
- Inform them the advantages of brushing as well as the disadvantages. In my daughter’s case, she saw one of my husband’s baby picture and was surprised to see his dad’s black teeth. With that instance, I let her know that daddy was not fond of brushing his teeth when he’s young that’s why he had tooth decay build-up making his white teeth turned into black. Believe me, this tactic worked really well on her.
- Brush with them. Brushing is more fun when you have a companion. Show them the proper way of brushing and let them copy you. Brush the front, upper right, upper left, lower left,lower right in an up and down motion, and, of course, don’t forget to clean your tongue. When she was 2 years of age, I let her do it on her own. After that, I brush her teeth again so I can clean the areas she didn’t reach well.
- Sing a song. It takes two minutes to thoroughly clean kid’s teeth. You may sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, Wheels On The Bus, or any other song of your kid’s choice that will make him/her enjoy brushing more. Singing will make them feel like they’re just playing.
- Buy a kiddie toothpaste that will give kids the right protection against tooth decay like HAPEE Kiddie Toothpaste.Hapee Kiddie Toothpaste is a fun-flavored toothpaste with fluoride level that’s safe for kids giving them the right protection against tooth decay.It comes in 7 exciting flavors that will surely entice kids to brush often:Strawberry Bloom, Orange Squeeze, Tutti-frutti Twist, Apple Crunch, Juicy Grapes, Bubblegum Pop, and Cookies & Cream AhoyHapee Kiddie Toothpaste is available in 50 ml (with free games inside cartons) – SRP P34.00 and in 40g – SRP P23.25)
Let your child choose the flavor and character he/she wants to add more excitement on her brushing time.
- Let your kids choose their own toothbrush. Images on the toothbrush like cartoon characters also play a role in your child’s brushing routine as they treat them as their”brushing partners”. Also, please remember to choose a toothbrush with soft bristles so as not to damage their gums and with soft handle for an easy grip.
- Involve them in the whole toothbrushing routine. From choosing their own toothpaste, toothbrush, choice of song while brushing, putting pea-sized amount of toothpaste on their brush, brushing process and flossing. Yes, teach them how to floss as well.
- Providing a cute storage for their toothbrush also helps too!
I hope these fun brushing tips will serve as a guide and will help you moms and dads out there to convince your kids to brush their teeth regularly. Years from now, our kids will be grateful for the good dental hygiene that we impart to them.
For more fun trivia, dental tips and exciting promos, visit Hapee Kiddie’s social media accounts:
And, to those of you who have other suggestions, feel free to post your tips below at the comment section.
I wish Hapee visits every school and teach the children how to brush and take care of their teeth and gums properly. This is a great way to start with and I hope they continue this!
That’s a great idea! I hope they’ll do that soon.
Our dentist suggests at least once a year of visit for dental checkup and oral cleansing. These are great tips! I especially like encouraging kids to sing the Happy Birthday song three times or the Alphabet song while brushing the teeth.
Singing the alphabet song will be of great help as they will have ample time to brush their teeth plus they can review the alphabet too.
I love using Happee too! Sariling atin!
True! I love supporting Filipino-made products too.
It’s nice that Hapee has kid friendly variants. This would really entice them to brush regularly.
Correct! The different flavors and the characters on the tubes make kids more excited to brush their teeth.
Great tips Kaye! I feel like setting a good example is the most important factor which I’m sure you’re doing to Keisha 🙂
Yes, as kids always really copy what they see.
Hapee Kiddie Toothpaste din gamit ng son ko before and he’s now a teenager! I love the fact that it tastes good and it’s affordable as well.
Wow! Kaya pala nice ang teeth ng son mo.
Kudos to us for instilling the importance of good dental hygiene to our kids! I brought my daughter to dentist when she was 2 years old just to show herethat there’s nothing to afraid of dentists.
“to show her that there’s nothing to be afraid of dentists” rather
Good thing dentists now are more friendly and very sweet to young kids.
I agree with the all the tips you have posted here. Cute ni Keisha
Thank you Madam Levy!
Helpful tips for children’s oral hygiene and for adults too. Wish everyone can do it for the sake of personal health.
That’s true, taking care of your teeth is like taking care of your entire being as dental problems can lead to different complications as well.
It might sound crazy but I am planning to buy Hapee Kiddie Toothpastes and use it myself. ^_^
My daughter loves the Tutti Frutti flavor of Hapee Toothpaste
Bad brushing habits can lead to gingivitis and other dental problems. It’s good to start teaching your kids early. Those tips will really come in handy.
I am so lucky that my kids follows a certain routine. Brushing isn’t hard for them anymore and yes, I have to agree with you, the toothpaste plays a great factor.